Mary's musings

Mary Hoffman, author of over 90 children's books, including the Stravaganza series and Amazing Grace, has begun a web journal which will be updated roughly once a week. You can read more on www.maryhoffman.co.uk

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Promoted (or, if you like, Blackberries)

I have been SO busy since my last post! I have been travelling around the country, visting three Secondary Schools, in Wales, London and Bishop's Stortford, and then doing two days' signing of City of Flowers in London. I have slept in four different beds besides my own since my last blog! And seen a lot more snow.

And what has it all achieved - who can possibly tell? The PowerPoint presentation has gone down well, as have the props - three talismans and a dagger, plus the heavenly room scent from Santa Maria Novella. And the writing workshops were fascinating - lots of students designing their own cities.

City of Flowers has had its first review - a highly favourable one in Italy magazine, appropriately enough. And the e-mails are pouring in from fans, some of whom got it early. But some waited for Harrods, where I signed a hundred copies (not all for people who were there, I hasten to say). And another hundred for Goldsborough books in Cecil Court where they do a great trade in signed First Editions for the American market. The nice men there offered coffee, water or red wine, all at 11am. One of them showed me his Black Berry - that device for getting and sending e-mails wherever you are that got Alistair Campbell into such trouble with the BBC. Another nice man at the Pan Bookshop in Fulham gave us blackcurrant tart, while I was signing, which he called blackberry pie.

I think I signed a further 160 copies at Bloomsbury and I stayed at a wonderfully eccentric hotel with four-poster bed and claw-footed bath.

Ironically, i didn't see my editor; she was too involved in the forthcoming sales conference. But she managed to e-mail an offer to my agent for The Falconer's Knot and another historical novel, so I heard about that on the coach back to Oxford - bizarre.

I managed to have a visit from Ann Jungmann and we talked about some workshops she is going to do on Monsters. And have two new Oxfordshire friends for an Italian meal. And then, unexpectedly, I made three pots of Bramble Jelly from the blackberries we picked last autumn and froze.

Oh, and the first copy of Bravo, Grace! has arrived, looking very nice and purple, with its endorsement from Jacqueline Wilson on the back. And Barefoot Books are going to paperback Clever Katya this autumn.

Am now at home for a whole blissful week before needing to spend another night away. I think I'll give up on promotion after this year; it is much more tiring than writing.